Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Tylenol!

 

Pacific caves created by the action of the wave on one of the many islands on the coast I took yesterday from the boat I was on.

So it's been plenty boring here. Laundry, gardening, cooking as health allows, ho hum!

A dear friend of mine's husband launched their large charter boat from Flamingo harbor and we went on the first cruise instead of a big sports fishermen and tourists on the sunset cruise. One of the sailors/servers is the teenage son of one of our church members doing his first time out on a big boat.

Approaching this I was worried. Between the worried about getting in the panga for the trip out to the boat, to transferring to the boat, to being exposed to diesel fumes or chemicals and worries about reacting to the food. There was a lot of apprehension involved. 

Mostly I was worrying for no reason. I stepped into the panga (small boat with an outboard motor) easily enough from the beach. The problem happened when I tried to step from the panga to the large boat. Their ladder and mounting step were missing, stolen and hadn't been replaced. I thought I was on top of it, climbing onto the panga's wooden bench to step over to the bigger boat. Husband and the captain were right there waiting to grab me if my balance got wonky. Put one foot on the boat deck and the other still on the panga seat when the panga suddenly shifted a foot or two to the left. It became a matter of either nimbly leaping forward onto the boat, or keeping one foot on each only to have my foot and ankle crushed between the panga and the boat, or to flop back down into the pange. I chose the flop, falling a couple of feet down into the panga. Left hip, my dodgy hip, injured and the muscles of that leg quivered all day. Those of you that know me in real life know how difficult the leap forward would have been. I was apprehensive because I had my good cameras with me and didn't want risk dropping them into the drink. 

By that point I was reduced to a blubbery mess, They bodily lifted me onto the boat, dropped me on my hands and knees. Then they started doing that thing I hate, HATE, HATE!!! pulling at me without my permission. Usually if you get me five seconds or so I can collect myself and get up. Wasn't given that opportunity no matter how I yelled to stop. When they dropped me I somehow ended up with a toe or two folded underneath me. When they started dragging/lifting me those toes broke, weird angles, popping noises ahoy! The flooring surface of the boat is rough, torn up most of the skin on my legs. After I got up hobbling with those crazy toes and throbbing hip I spent the trip reclining in the sun on the lower deck.

 I must have taken a thousand photos but didn't get the one I really REALLY wanted, the humpback whale breaching in the calm waters of a cove. Unfortunately I just discovered the zillion photos drained the battery so I only got the cave ones uploaded before the battery died. More later. 

Today I am in recovery mode and preparing to sit in the hottub. Interesting enough I got right down easily from the boat to the panga and off the panga into the drink to the beach. Cool beans. Disability sucks so hard A big old fuck you to the UK newspaper that recently coined "Sickfluencer" Trust me, none of us telling the real shiznitz of living your live disability ain't influencing anyone to fake a disability for internet clout. It's a horrible reality for many of us!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Years of Living Too Dangerously

Spoonless in Louisiana

Dumbass Dances With Doctor X