Dumbass Dances With Doctor X

 

Yesterday was a disaster! I went to the clinic in Maryland I visit when here. I'd had a bizarre accident a few days before and wanted to make sure I had not broken a rib. Had lumps beneath the fascia of my body without bruises on the skin level. Quite painful. I had also run low on my meds, the pharmacopeia gumbo I take for both routine things and the stuff involving mast cell. I was only out of one of the mastie drugs but very low on metformin, blood pressure meds and Lyrica. So I took myself off to this place.

Huge. Fucking. Mistake! I didn't get the usual doctor, a decent guy that knows I live in Costa Rica and sometimes run low on essentials. Most of the time when I'm zipping in there it is for a sinus or a bladder infection. Instead I got the sourest Indian female doctor. My blood pressure was borderline high when checking in, and the nurse said they'd have to keep retaking it to figure out if it was a glitch. Sadly it only went higher with every moment!

Never had the opportunity to ask the doctor to xray the rib, or even look at anything. Once I mentioned med refills she started lecturing and hectoring me about my Lyrica usage. Knitter please! I've been on its since the Thalamic stroke, it holds the nerve pain down to a dull roar. Look, it's in the fucking records there. Doctor started bitching that it was a "narcotic". It is NOT a narcotic or an opioid! It makes it possible for me to sleep and function without crippling pain!

She accused me of being a "Drug Seeker"! WTF! I'm a gray haired old lady with nerve pain. I pointed out that I was taking no drug testing at all, and that everything I was running out of like metformin and neb solution wasn't something you'd use to get high, that the levels of Lyrica I was taking wouldn't get a mouse high. Started crying I was so offended. Every time I got a blood pressure reading the top number kept climbing higher. Nightmare scenario!

 She begrudgingly prescribed just enough meds to get me home. But not the Lyrica. I run out the day before I fly back. I hope I don't have a seizure on the day I fly. My Lyrica is otc in Costa Rica.

She told me also that mast cell disorders were facetious. I chose at that point to end the appointment. One of the big things I've learned with having 18 years dealing with mastocytosis is if a physician decides something untrue and idiotic about you because of their own prejudices to just end the visit and leave immediately.

This is health care in the USA. God help us all. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Years of Living Too Dangerously

Spoonless in Louisiana