The Futility of Exercise in Chronic Illness or at Least it Feels That Way
Maybe I need to take up a feminine hobby like cross stitch. Love this sampler.
When I last left you I had crazy sleeping going on. At the same time I overdid it at my workout. Different dumbass day, same dumbass song. I follow a coach on Facebook and YouTube that is as rare as a unicorn - John Noel. I found him on Facebook about a year ago. What's unique about this guy is that he does exercise videos with modification for us older crippled up folks along with the regular exercise. I haven't seen huge strides until this week. I have regained some mobility, I can get on the floor to scrub now, but there isn't anything that will fix the balance. Between working out at a pace that makes sloths look rapid I've benefited greatly. Until this week that is.
Usually I am very good about slowly doing more and more. I credit it to giving me the energy to stick to that house cleaning list I use. I've lost a little weight, but the workout goal is not weight loss, it's gaining mobility.
So there I was, all in until first thing Wednesday morn. On Saturday I ran across one of Coach Noel's twenty minute exercise videos with moves I've done in the modified versions either sitting in a chair or leaning on the same chair to do elevated versions. Last Saturday I noticed the balance was pretty darn good, so I experimentally did some of the exercises standing. First time. So proud of myself. The next three days I did all the standing squats, well, actually standing. It felt great!
Right up until it didn't. I woke up on Wednesday morning with legs, hips and ankles burning. Not balance issues, just quivering f-word provoking insta pain. I have had to go back to modifying and going to standing bit by bit during handful of reps. Not trying to have calf cramps at night!
This is so frustrating because pre stroke I could do exercises no problem, I would be sweatin' with the oldies with the best of them,, at least when the masto wasn't raising it's butt ugly head. Pain finally lifted today. Back to the freakin' drawing board I guess.

Comments
Post a Comment