Nutty Time or Nuttin' Honey

 

Yep there is that!

So now I have a unique problem while I'm still dealing with the pesky virus. The husband.

He went to the doctor.... FINALLY!!!... after years of headaches, napping often and other complaints. We switched our care out from Dr. Andrea to another clinic. Andrea sold out and now runs a small clinic 30 minutes away. Too bad because she was the closest thing here to anyone who'd ever even heard of mastocytosis. She coordinated with my Stateisde critical care pulmo. Not that she needed to much because I finally learned to monitor my condition like an old style Soviet monitoring the Berlin Wall, acutely aware quickly to do away with any threat. The closest we came to super interventions and lots of contact between my doctors was twice. When I had Covid in November 2022 and when RFK Jr. took over as HHS secretary, both points of absolute freak out. So Andrea is out of the picture but this new big clinic is it. The best part is that they TAKE OUR INSURANCE!!!!!!!!! Squeallll this is huge. They are also part of the preferred provider hospital system we use.

So the husband took himself off, saw some sweet young thing as a doctor and she ordered every test known to mankind it seems like, nearly a thousand dollars worth of tests at Costa Rican prices. Okay, so all of this seemed obsessive. Some of the tests have come back now, a blood sugar reading of nearly 400! (oh holy mother of God!), a cholesterol that shows his blood is basically Crisco now, very high blood pressure and a smattering of other out of wack numbers. We're waiting for other results, but I have to say I am not totally surprised. When he had his incision from the prostatectomy open up to a depth of two inches three weeks after the surgery all his check engine lights came on then too. They sent him home with insulin, metformin, blood pressure pills, etc, etc, world without end. He refused to take any of it. I said fine, that if he died from his stupidity that I would curse his name daily. No dice. Jock boy mentality is strong! Mr. I Have Always Been Healthy assumed it would last forever. But ultimately he's as responsible for his own health as I am for mine, and we all have biases - mine is I don't trust anyone that has not treated mast cell before! This comes into play later.

Look, 70 plus years of eating processed foods catches up with everyone. I cannot tell you the times in the last 19 years I've been dealing with this thing where I eye-scroggined him from the corner eating my baked organic chicken breast, steamed organic veggies, single piece of organic fruit and slice of bread so filled with crazy amounts of fiber its like eating hay while he's tucked into all kind of delicious high processed foods that would make my mast cell go freakin' haywire! The things I react to has waxed and waned. There was a four year stretch where I could not eat any wheat products for example. This was pre my own self developing diabetes eleven years ago. Now my diet is more restrictive, more like what I just posted. No fun eating this way while your sig-o is tucking into a hotdog and fries.. 

Yesterday he ate like me and it was a hard go for him. He kept asking me why I didn't eat dinner, just a single small apple and some of those haystack crackers and cheese. Had to explain that now my food very slowly digests so I eat one real meal and two snacks, all of it embedded with enough fiber to minus out the carbs completely. He was shocked, said he could not understand how I wasn't bone thin from the way I ate. Well, dude, me too! Mysteries of the universe. To step up the exercise merely makes me so hungry I eat the fridge. A big no-no with the blood sugar. It is a balancing act. 

The other bad thing is he is now after me to get those same tests run. Hard pass. Back a few months back during the doctor's appointment from hell I did! No surprises in the blood work. I hate to have this done with a new doctor because of the mast cell certain markers are going to be all over the damn place. I talked to her about it and she admitted she'd never treated anyone with mast cell, in fact she had to look it up while I was there. Said it was just to jolt her memory from med school. Not a good auger for future treatment. I suspect I'll end up going there for sinus infections and the like while still seeing my pulmo on telehealth appointments. Perhaps I should introduce them?

The good point of his appointment was when he was moaning about he could not understand how I could be that allergic to the smell of peanut butter and other things she read him the riot act,  pointed out it's very likely affecting my asthma. I did go over my meds list with her, and she told him I was taking exactly what I needed to take for my mast cell. Always good for the husband to hear this because he used to bitch about how many meds I was on. Now I get to point and laugh that he's on a pile himself.

Offered to test his blood sugar earlier. He ran away when I whipped out the meter, strips and pokey thing! Such a child! If he only knew. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Years of Living Too Dangerously

Spoonless in Louisiana

Dumbass Dances With Doctor X